Bridge House Veterinary Surgery

  • By Admin Account
  • 06 Feb, 2017
Bridge House Veterinary Surgery

About This Project

This building had a cement render which over the years, had begun to crack and allow water ingress, the front elevation suffering the worst . Internally there were damp issues whilst outside we discovered some major problems that needed remedying. On removing the external cement render, we found a few challenges that needed immediate attention. Some of the roof timbers had been affected by damp ingress and were in a poor state, so we set about cutting out all decayed wood and replacing with new timbers. As we began work on the top part of the front elevation, we discovered that the parapet wall was moving away from the abutting wall.

Our Approach

Our head of build services Frank managed this project, while a fair amount of issues arose on this site, Frank has the experience and knowledge to not only have kept them under control and finish this work to the highest standard, but also get this project completed on time and on budget. Many skills were implemented to complete this project, they range from brickwork to re-build the failing chimney and sand-stone mouldings to the more obvious; rebuilding the substrate and external rendering to a master standard and the painting to finish. As any contractor knows, there can be many challenges along the way, but thanks to our great team and understanding clients, we were able to meet those challenges head on and restore this building to its former glory.

The Process

First of all we called in structural engineers for advice before then proceeding to re-pin the parapet wall so that it was once more secure and not in danger of failing. Once all the remedial work was complete, which also included repairing and refreshing some of the windows, we re-rendered the front elevation with lime render and then went on to paint the whole building with a breathable mineral silicate paint. We used our 3/1 mix of fatty lime for the scat coat, then a 3/1 haired mortar for the scratch-coat; each coat must be allowed to completely dry before adding the next layer. We then finished with a 3/1 mix for the top float coat. Once completely dry, this was painted with Keim; a breathable mineral silicate paint which was also applied to the rest of the building. The end result is a beautiful building that now has regained its former glory as a prestigious building.
By Sarah Rawle 28 Nov, 2017
If you are buying an older property then it will more than likely have lath and plaster ceilings and walls. If the property is Listed, then this will almost certainly dictate the type of laths you use for any repair.

Grade II Listing is usually straight forward and wooden laths that have been machine cut can be used- made from Baltic Pine, these are known as Restoration laths.

Grade II* and/or Grade I Listings will more often than not need to be repaired with hand riven laths- which are exactly that- laths cut by hand and these can be made from oak, pine or chestnut.

Does it matter which you use?  In a nutshell, yes.  Where there is a Listed Building there is a duty to repair it in the correct manner so that it complies with the listing requirements. The Listings Officer will insist on inspecting the work to ensure that the correct laths are used.  

Get it wrong and it's no laughing matter.....   

Hefty fines await those who digress- and the owner of the property will suddenly find themselves in deep water. It's no laughing matter when you get fined thousands of pounds for getting it wrong, plus then having to have the contractor come back and put it all right.  Best not to go there- get yourself a contractor who knows the rules and how to restore buildings in the correct manner.

P.S. A useful tip- when repairing laths, don't throw out the old ones- many can be salvaged by screwing them back into situ. Avoid the use of nails as hammering can shake the existing mortar out from the laths and cause more damage. 



By Admin Account 06 Feb, 2017
This building had a cement render which over the years, had begun to crack and allow water ingress, the front elevation suffering the worst . Internally there were damp issues whilst outside we discovered some major problems that needed remedying. On removing the external cement render, we found a few challenges that needed immediate attention. Some of the roof timbers had been affected by damp ingress and were in a poor state, so we set about cutting out all decayed wood and replacing with new timbers. As we began work on the top part of the front elevation, we discovered that the parapet wall was moving away from the abutting wall.
Share by: